Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stop It.

[This is a free-writing crosspost from http://www.xrivo.com/works/view/612.  You may find it more readable there.  Developed from the writing prompt "A houseplant is dying.  Tell it why it needs to live."  Image (c) and CC-Licensed by Chad Miller]

Dead Plant
You need to stop dying.

I'm sorry, I'm not a plant person, I dont even know what kind of plant you are.  I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, just please stop dying.

Your leaves turned dry and brown, withered and wrinkly.  I added more water and they bloated, yellow edges, diseased and loathsome.  Dial back the water, and now you're all brown and crinkley again, and I don't know what to do and you need to stop dying.

She could take care of you.  When she was here you were rich, vibrant, and green.  Full of life and I ignored you because I thought that was just the way plants were, but you're my responsibility now and I don't know what to do and you're dying and you need to stop.

You need to stop because she cared about you.  You need to stop because you were the last thing she loved, and you never said those horrible things, and you never yelled spiteful insults, and you didn't drive her away and you were the last thing she loved and I'm so sorry I don't know any better and now I'm killing you too and I don't know how to fix this so please please please stop dying.

Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment